January 15, 2011 § Leave a comment
If there is one thing my husband says I don’t make enough of its Meatloaf. Everyone has that one meal that makes them happy, content and think of home; this is Dan’s. That being said, my husband is very easy to please. He will try anything once and he’s a huge fan of anything that doesn’t take hours to prepare. I can even get a standing ovation from him when I make nachos or breakfast for dinner! He’s a real trooper and I love cooking for him because he is so easy to please.
Over the years I’ve looked at and tried dozens of different Meatloaf recipes. I have a friend who likes to put a few hard boiled eggs in the middle of her meatloaf (I recommend trying this at least once, it was really good), my mother only makes meatloaf with a ketchup topping and some I’ve tried call for a variety of different meat combinations. I’ve come up with a combination of a few different recipes that I call my own.
- 1 pound of lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 green pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup quick cook oatmeal or bread crumbs
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- Splash of Milk
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grill seasoning to taste
- Salsa and barbecue sauce for topping (mix 1/2 a cup of each of these together in a small bowl for topping)
Start by dicing the green pepper, jalapeno and onion. Combine ground turkey, diced vegetables, oatmeal, Worcestershire sauce, grill seasoning, salt and pepper, milk and slightly beaten egg into a large mixing bowl. Mix ingredients together with hands as not to overwork the meat. Place mixture in a greased loaf pan (I like to line my pan with parchment paper as well). Spread barbecue/salsa mixture on top and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on ' Follow (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)